[AT] OT - Vavorite garden beans

Mark Greer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Thu May 20 06:10:26 PDT 2010

Mike,
As someone who has planted green beans in my garden for the last 17 years, I
like two varieties. We can about 50 quarts each year and eat lots more
during garden season. Blue Lake is a good one, either in the bush or pole
varieties. They produce well, have good flavor, cans well, and no strings. I
also like one called Roma which has a flattened pod but you eat like any
other green bean. Same characteristics as the Blue Lake as far as
production, canning, taste, and no strings. Both varieties grow very well
and I plant them in double rows about a foot apart. I do NOTHING else to
them until it is time to pick except push a hand cultivator along each side
every couple weeks to discourage weeds. They are probably the easiest plants
in our garden as far as the time it takes to plant and maintain them.
Blue Lake  http://gurneys.com/blue-lake-274-bush-beans/p/14137/
http://gurneys.com/blue-lake-pole-beans-/p/14202/
Roma  http://gurneys.com/product.asp?pn=14152&bhcd2=1274360419
Mark