[AT] OT--(but tractors do use oil)

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun May 16 18:50:54 PDT 2010

Len Rugen wrote:
> Like someone said, lots of unfamiliar things to us land lubbers going
> on here...
>
> Since oil is lighter than water, if it could be caught in a upside
> down funnel, it might tend to rise and bring some sea water with it.
> I think this was the idea behind the concrete outhouse they tried
> first.
>
> However, remember when "state change" occurs, temperature changes.  I
> wonder how much of the natural gas is really liquid at that pressure
> and depth?  Like propane tank frost and carburetor ice, when that gas
> expands or pressure changes, it will make things colder.  I think I
> heard it said that the water was about 40 F at that depth, so it
> wouldn't take much state change chill to freeze things.
>
> Dad used to talk about how Grampa's steam engine could pump water
> from a source.  I sounded like a jet pump powered by steam.  One line
> took steam to the pond, then it passed thru a jet into a larger pipe
> open to the water.  That pumped water back to the engine.  I'd
> wondered about something like that, but getting steam or hot water a
> mile down wouldn't be easy.

You can do the same thing with plain water. It is how a device like the
turbo-draft and draft boosters used in the fire service work.
The units get fed pressurized water from the rig through a 1.5 - 2.5
hose (depending on the final suction hose size)

http://www.turbodraft.net/products_01.html

> Anyone who thinks anything man made can be "fail safe" is dreaming.
> (Not going into whether someone goofed to start with)
>

> Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com - personal & consulting rugenl at
> prairiehome.k12.mo.us Prairie Home R-V Tech Coordinator
>

> -

Steve W.
(\___/)
(='.'=)