[AT] OT--(but tractors do use oil)

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Sun May 16 15:28:12 PDT 2010

Like someone said, lots of unfamiliar things to us land lubbers going on here...

Since oil is lighter than water, if it could be caught in a upside down funnel, it might tend to rise and bring some sea water with it.  I think this was the idea behind the concrete outhouse they tried first.

However, remember when "state change" occurs, temperature changes.  I wonder how much of the natural gas is really liquid at that pressure and depth?  Like propane tank frost and carburetor ice, when that gas expands or pressure changes, it will make things colder.  I think I heard it said that the water was about 40 F at that depth, so it wouldn't take much state change chill to freeze things.

Dad used to talk about how Grampa's steam engine could pump water from a source.  I sounded like a jet pump powered by steam.  One line took steam to the pond, then it passed thru a jet into a larger pipe open to the water.  That pumped water back to the engine.  I'd wondered about something like that, but getting steam or hot water a mile down wouldn't be easy.

Anyone who thinks anything man made can be "fail safe" is dreaming.  (Not going into whether someone goofed to start with)

Len Rugen
rugenl at yahoo.com - personal & consulting
rugenl at prairiehome.k12.mo.us Prairie Home R-V Tech Coordinator

-