[Ford-ferguson] Suggestions for cleaning out the cooling system on a 1948 Ford 8N?

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Wed May 12 11:11:44 PDT 2010

Thanks, I hope this engine is not that bad :o).

It is running well, but since I had to replace the front axle bushing, I
was looking at other minor problems on the tractor, and flushing out the
cooling system was on the list.

I know there is some "crud" in the engine, I had to use a wire to open
the passage to the block drain plug when I replaced the original one on
the block.

I did flush it out with a garden hose (with the engine cold), and
flushed out some stuff (looks like it might have been refilled from a
creek at one point in it's life).
Not sure how well the over the counter stuff works any more, since
engines have changed quite a bit in the last 30+ years.

Thanks,
Howard