[AT] Iron and lots of it, now nylon rope

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 04:39:13 PDT 2010

We somehow acquired a bundle of nylon strapping, 3 loops, total 6
layers, about 120' long of 2" web.  I think it was used by the Air Force
to throw things out of cargo planes.  I took it apart, none of my
tractors can break a single strap unless it gets cut.  I tie loops on
the ends with "water knots", so no metal hooks.  It's great for towing,
no jerks.  It's also great for solo tree cutting.  Hook the strap high
in the tree, drive the tow vehicle out until the stretch stops it.
There is enough pull in the strap to pull the tree over when it's cut.
A chain will go slack when the tree moves a few feet, then it can fall
in nearly a 180 degree arc, with the strap, they go within a much
narrower arc.