[AT] Iron and lots of it, now nylon rope

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Tue May 11 05:07:14 PDT 2010

Len, I do a version of your method of tree cutting and it works great.  Just
don't put too much presure on your tow strap.  If you tie the line 20 feet
up the tree above the cut point and put 200 lbs of pull on the tow line, you
are putting close to 4000 ft lbs of torque on the tree at the cut line
(depending on the angle of the strap from the tree to the tow vehicle).
Raise that to 40' up the tree and 1000 lbs on the tow line and you are up to
40,000 ft lbs.  Either number is enough to cause some problems and create
some danger while you are cutting.

Charlie