[AT] Iron and lots of it

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun May 9 20:23:43 PDT 2010

Al Jones wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> I think the front is actually geared a little faster than the rear.
>
> We bought our first FWA tractor this spring.  When pulling a disk, it slips
> like crazy.  Kick the FWA in, and it pulls like crazy.  Amazing.  Takes 40
> acres to turn it around though.
>
> Al

Most of the FWA tractors are geared just a bit faster than the rears.
This enables the front end to help stabilize the tractor and allow
better control by pulling the front end a bit more than the rear pushes
it. Where this becomes a problem is on high traction surfaces. The
different gearing makes the front end try to pull the tractor and the
parts in it are not capable of doing that. It tends to wear them out or
break them. Where the FWA really shines is on a loader tractor IF the
conditions are a bit slippery like loading manure or loose gravel and
the like. Then it makes turning easier without resorting to steering brakes.

Now if you really want to break one there is a simple way. Through a
loader on it and fill the bucket with heavy dirt and then turn sharp on
pavement. It's a great way to break parts. One of the locals manages to
break the front on his kubota at least once a year doing this type
stuff.... He has more money than brains though!

--
Steve W.
(\___/)