[AT] How do I test a Generator?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Mar 26 14:18:38 PDT 2010

I suspect there are plenty of on-line pages with advice on generator
servicing. Generators have few parts and fewer still that can go bad.
Rather than "reinvent the wheel, I suggest starting with
<http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint129.htm>

Another great source of useful information on old tractor electrical
systems is a "Motor" manual from the 1950s or early '60s. They can
usually be found in used book stores, rummage sales, or even a
Craigslist ad. I got several of them that were headed for the dumpster
on town "clean-up" day.

Unless you are "lucky" and see obvious damage, worn out brushes, or
crappy commutator (See
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/1946_ford_2n/generator-armature.html>
for an example of a pretty obvious problem), your best bet is to take it
to a real auto electric shop and have them put it on their test machine.
(I am not talking about your local AutoZone or similar discount place -
all they do is sell stuff, usually junk.) I am fortunate that I have
such a place near here, and the guy will actually let me go into the
back room with him and watch him test. When he gives up the business, I
will be lost.

Mike