[Farmall] More "H" questions

CAMEROL78 at aol.com CAMEROL78 at aol.com
Sun Mar 21 03:34:26 PDT 2010

You don't mention the type of cover on your machine. If you are using a
trap make sure it is a breathable car/truck cover. The heat build up under a
plastic or canvas tarp is tremendous and can cause paint bubble in a short
period of time. Gs

In a message dated 3/21/2010 2:00:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rholtzer at earthlink.net writes:

>From the  appearance of the tank near the label, paint was applied
over pitted and  corroded metal.  Suggest removing the tank and
stripping or  sandblasting the whole tank down to bare metal then
rebuild to a smooth  surface using a body filler and primer.  Also you
will get a good  idea about any pinholes.  The bubbles appear to be
quite a distance  from the filler neck so perhaps the gas odor is due
to penetration from  spills on the surface?

CaseIH spray can paint is excellent and provides  a good finish once
you do the base finish work.  I've used it on  three Farmalls and
don't detect any difference from bulk CaseIH  paint.  Much easier to
use on smaller projects.

Bob  Holtzer

At 08:14 PM 3/20/2010, you wrote:
>Got a few more  questions about the 1949 "H" I recently purchased.
>
>1. Paint  bubbles.  They've formed on the top of the gas tank.  The
previous
>owner kept the tractor in a closed shop.  I've got to  keep it outside for
>now, but I do keep it covered.  I guess the  heat from the sun caused
bubbles
>to form.  One is over 2" in  size.  The edge of the large bubble actually
>looked liquid, and  when I touched it, it separated from the metal.  The
>metal  underneath looked wet, and when I touched and smelled of it, it  was
>gasoline.  Several of these bubbles have formed.  Any  idea what's causing
>them, and how I can fix them?  Go to the photo  link at the bottom of this
>page to see a picture of the  bubbles.
>
>2. The "tooth" that keeps the throttle lever in the  notch is worn pretty
>badly.  When I hit a bump the throttle jumps  out of the notch...makes it
>hard to keep a consistent speed.  Any  idea where I can get one of these?
Or