[Farmall] More "H" questions

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Mar 20 21:43:24 PDT 2010

Tim, for the fenders and PTO guard, I'd look for a tractor salvage yard.
The fenders were the same for Hs and Ms, and also for 300s, 400s, etc, so
there are lots of them around.  Not free, $250 or $300 a pair seems to be a
typical asking price for them on eBay, but if there's a salvage yard within
reasonable distance you can likely find them cheaper there.  You may also
want to get a set of the extension plates and spacers, to move the fenders
out closer to the wheels.  Those are available new from OEM but mighty
spendy; I'd look for them at a salvage yard also.

I don't know what's causing the paint bubbles, but I'd guess the solution
involves sanding down to bare metal so you can see what's going on.  Seems
unusual that there would be pinholes on the top of the tank like that, so I
suspect the surface preparation wasn't great the last time the tractor was
painted, and/or the preparation or application of the paint wasn't quite
right.

There was a thread a while ago about those throttle lever teeth wearing, and
the friction-disk replacement throttle levers that various after-market
companies made.  OEM Tractor Parts is good for true-to-original
replacements, or the friction-disk style are still available at places like
Tractor Supply or on eBay.

Have fun!

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio