[Ford-ferguson] Massey Harris and Ferguson Pony model?

Jack Tractor jacktractor at live.com
Tue Mar 2 06:50:34 PST 2010

I once subscribed to "Wild Harvest" when Keith Oltrogge was involved with it.  Is it still operational? Do you have a source for
Keith Oltrogge's book?

[MasseyH at aol.com]~I have found that the Massey Tractor Data Book by Keith Oltrogge is about the best reference.  In there he
references the numbers I shared earlier - serial numbers 23149 to 23853 as being gray Ponys.  In most cases we say if it has a 23XXX
number it might have been gray.  All gray Ponys had the MHF   tag on them.  The serial number and the Pacer front end are usually
the giveaway as to whether it is a gray Pony or not.  HOWEVER, the rare 1957 red MH Pony also had the Pacer front end but their
numbers started with 24XXX. Hope this helps a little.

[pmthicke at centurytel.net]~Are there records of which Pony's with the MHF tag are the actual gray Ferguson models?

[MasseyH at aol.com]~Some of the later models of red MH Pony had the MHF tags as well.

[pmthicke at centurytel.net]~One difference that I have seen is on the name plate tag located below   the right front of the engine.
It will only say Massey Harris for the Massey Harris tractor and Massey Harris Ferguson on the Ferguson model.

[Indiana Robinson]~Does anyone know for sure about any differences in the Massey Harris Pony and the Ferguson Pony? I read
"somewhere" that the only difference was the serial numbers and the paint.  I also seem to recall reading that there were no clear
records as to which serial numbers were painted gray and which were red and yellow. My Pony is Massey Harris (or at least that is
how it was last painted) but I am a little tempted to paint it gray to show it along side of my TO-20 Ferguson. I have an 8N and I
am "quietly" (that means you do not mention it in front of the wife) watching for a steal in a 9N. I have a bunch of old tractors in
all sizes, colors and in different conditions (18, I think). But since I retired I am slowly shifting to smaller tractors that I can
haul several at a time easily.
My small ones are:
TO-20
8N
AC-C
MM-R
MH Pony
Case VAC
Farmall CUB
I plan to show all of these this summer/fall. The 8N is the least likely to be ready. I may have to show it in a row of baskets.
;-) I do show some in working clothes. Have you hugged your horses   today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana   USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com