[AT] Farmall Super M, Stage II, question down in the weeds

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Fri Jul 16 12:37:40 PDT 2010

> Hi Dudley.  Hmmm, interesting theory about the drilling/tapping being part
> of the sequential progression.  I'd thought maybe the castings were only
> drilled and tapped if the original customer ordered whatever attachment
> went
> there.  But your observation seems to be correct, at least with our small
> sample:  The tractor in the photo I'd posted had a serial number of 48xxx
> and had the untapped mounting bosses, and there were two other
> lower-serial-number Stage II SMs at the show and I believe both of those
> were untapped as well (I'm certain about one of them but I didn't
> photograph
> the other and can't remember for sure).  Yours at 49xxx and mine at 51xxx
> have the bosses drilled and tapped.
>
> Even if they were generic to all of the Stage II SMs, that's a pretty
> limited lifespan for something functional rather than aesthetic.
>
> Speaking of which, your SM has the "transitional" blanks in the grille
> where
> the MTA grilles have mounting holes, doesn't it?  I seem to remember you
> answering a post of mine about that a few years ago.
>
> Thanks--
>
> Dean

Dean,

Yes, my SM has the "transitional blanks" in the grille.  So, just an
assumption on my part, but maybe all SMs - at least since my SN (49xxx) -
have them.  Makes me wonder are there any SMs that were delivered with the
Mounting Holes in the blanks??  Awh, the new things to look for at the
shows --

Dudley