[AT] Multimeters for tractors, etc.

Phil Auten pga2 at BasicISP.net
Fri Jan 1 18:13:35 PST 2010

At 03:16 PM 1/1/2010, you wrote:
>Need info from you electronics gurus.   I've gone thru 3 multimeters
>over the years (not the ultra cheap ones) in working on old tractors
>and my vehicles.  I've never been very impressed with them--even the
>digital clamp meter.   Anyone have any suggestions from experience
>about a good brand/type?  I suppose Flute products are good but not
>sure I can swallow the cost ( is it all in the name?).  I really like
>clamp meters for quick and easy checks of generator and alternator
>output--when the meter works right!   There are lots of multimeters
>on Amazon at all prices but I don't know what would be good.   Any
>suggestions for me?      John W.              PS:  Best wishes for 2010 !!
>
>                     In the wide-open spaces of NE Oregon

John,I had one of the first Fluke 2010 digital MMs back in about '79 or so
at work (in the cal lab at Texas Instruments). Worked fine on DC and anything
AC from 60 Hz up to about 400 Hz. Resistance was ok, but I still prefer
my old Triplett analog meter for anything related
to automotive or old iron stuff.
A Simpson 260 would be just as good as the Triplett. The two biggest things
that make them more difficult to work with are
their size and the Bakelite cases
that break easily if dropped. Accuracy isn't
quite as good as the digital meters,
they usually run about 2% vs 0.5% to 1% for the DMMs, but is very adequate
for the auto/tractor jobs.

My 2¢,
Phil