[AT] Spam> Re: Spam> Re: Jobs/ Stores (now gardens)

Mark Greer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Tue Jan 26 21:36:38 PST 2010

Fresh chicken manure just before planting can cause all kinds of problems as
it is a "hot" manure and needs to compost a bit and mellow before it is most
useful to plants. I've seen stunted plants, seeds that sprout and then die,
pale and mal-formed plants, etc. It is less of a problem if put in the
garden in the fall after garden season and allowed to over-winter and sort
of infiltrate the soil at its own pace. When I do apply it right from the
chicken coop it goes in on top of the fall leaves and is then Troy Bilt
tilled in to help them rot up over winter. My chickens are bedded in
sawdust/woodshavings and the resulting litter is a nice loose consistency
which tills in and disappears.
Mark
Celebrating the Second Amendment one fine firearm at a time.