[AT] Swamp loggers--now sawmill

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Mon Jan 18 03:26:15 PST 2010

We didn't have a saw mill in the family.  My grand father might have had one
before I came along but  I'm not sure.
I know he timbered and cleared his own land and built his own house and
barns.  It would stand to reason that he might have sawed his own lumber.

There used to be lots of small saw mills near where I grew up and one, about
10 miles north, stayed in business until the late 70's or mid 80's and shut
down.  I was up that way a couple of months ago and noticed someone had
opened up another mill on that site.  I didn't have time to stop and
couldn't tell what sort of saw they had but the yard was full of logs and a
couple of trucks were there unloading.

Charlie