[AT] Swamp loggers--now sawmill

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jan 17 16:59:02 PST 2010

 The only other market I can think of is for really long timbers. We had to
have some a while back when repairing termite damage at the barn. There was
only one place around that had what we needed and now they have closed up as
well.

 Just our of curiosity, how many folks on the list had (or their family) a
sawmill? Not a bandsaw mill but an honest to goodness old-school sawmill
that took at least 4 people to run. The one my family had was sold in the
late 70's. After a big snowstorm the shed collapsed on it and it was decided
to sell the mill than rebuild the shed. In my area sawmilling was very
common at one time. We had a neighbor that also had a planer mill in his
set-up. If they needed dressed lumber they would saw it here and take it
over there to run through the planer.

Most of the sawmills around here used power units and it seemed most were
Case. Strange enough there weren't that many Case tractors around.

John Hall