[AT] Multimeters for tractors, etc

H. L. Staples hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com
Sun Jan 3 08:07:27 PST 2010

My use of testing equipment started with analog meters. With high voltage
measurements made with spark gaps consisting of relatively large round balls
one that was moveable with a scale on the base indicating the distance for
voltage calibration.

My first digital meter was a Fluke 77 with it I was quite happy. Had a major
failure and returned it to the Fluke repair depot and for about half the
cost of a new meter it was working well again. The repair lasted a couple
years then another unexplained major failure.

This time my thought was not to spend the money to repair a 20 plus year old
meter and decided to buy something cheaper (less expensive).

Wound up with a unit purchased on eBay made in China Model DT9602R that will
measure just about anything or everything. Even has a RS232 cable for
connection to a computer (not used so far).  I am not to proud to say that I
paid much less than the repair cost of the Fluke.

I still have a couple of the old triplet meters and an analog clamp on amp
meter and a cheapie pocket size digital that works for most measurements.

H. L. Staples
McLoud, Oklahoma
USA