[AT] Multimeters for tractors, etc

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 13:08:36 PST 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM, H. L. Staples <hlstaples at mcloudteleco.com>wrote:

> My use of testing equipment started with analog meters. With high voltage
> measurements made with spark gaps consisting of relatively large round
> balls
> one that was moveable with a scale on the base indicating the distance for
> voltage calibration.
>
> My first digital meter was a Fluke 77 with it I was quite happy. Had a
> major
> failure and returned it to the Fluke repair depot and for about half the
> cost of a new meter it was working well again. The repair lasted a couple
> years then another unexplained major failure.
>
> This time my thought was not to spend the money to repair a 20 plus year
> old
> meter and decided to buy something cheaper (less expensive).
>
> Wound up with a unit purchased on eBay made in China Model DT9602R that
> will
> measure just about anything or everything. Even has a RS232 cable for
> connection to a computer (not used so far).  I am not to proud to say that
> paid much less than the repair cost of the Fluke.
>
> I still have a couple of the old triplet meters and an analog clamp on amp
> meter and a cheapie pocket size digital that works for most measurements.
>
> H. L. Staples
> McLoud, Oklahoma
> USA

Hi H.L.
    We tried using one of those with the RS232 interface for doing some
automatic testing a few years back. Using the PC interface caused the meter
to lock on some ranges randomly on the 2 units we had. Turned out we weren't
able to get the accuracy or speed we needed either so we ended up buying a
nice fast Agilent measurement unit for the final system. It was a good trial
but there were some bugs in the software on the cheapo units we couldn't
tolerate. I'm sure they've gotten better by now though, and most folks don't
ever use that port anyway.
   For all the craziness I've done to a Fluke, I've never been able to break
one (yet). We've screwed up the display with high powered RF fields a few
times but what we consider high voltage isn't what was once common (such as
high power tube systems). The fact that a lot of older test gear was able to
survive is a testament to the design involved.
   I guess a meter should be judged by its usefulness, which varies with the
expertise of the operator and his needs. A buzzer or light bulb can be a
great tester for many things, but there are times when it might not be
adequate. Spending half what a new one costs for a repair is a bit extreme
for the end user. Maybethey're giving you a new one for the half the cost
since it's probably cheaper than repairing it. Fluke is not cheap and I do
use some Harbor Freight tools sometimes too.

Ken in AZ