[AT] Can you hear me now?

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Thu Feb 4 15:25:28 PST 2010

Brad Gunnells wrote:
> That's the thing, there isn't nearly as much "mechanical" as we're
> used to. The only mechanical part is the way we operate the
> electrical switch.  :-)
>
> I remember the first time I test drove a newer Ford PowerStroke (a
> '99 but wound up buying an '01). It had low miles for the year and
> after driving it I thought maybe it was a lemon and wanted no part of
> it. I wasn't used to the idea that there wasn't anything from my
> right foot connecting under the hood. I'd mash the pedal and it would
> just slowly creep along. I almost wrecked it trying to pull out in
> traffic on the test drive. Then I thought the transmission was
> slipping as the engine speed was pretty high driving down the road.
> (I test drove it on a 25 degree day)
>
> I later figured out with my current truck that the computer won't
> dump a bunch of fuel to it until it has a chance to warm a bit. And
> the transmission and turbo waste-gate also do things to help bring
> the engine up to temp. It was a far different animal to drive than
> what I was expecting at the time as I had an '84 with a 4 speed. That
> truck had a real cable to the injection pump and the only computer
> was the one in my laptop bag.
>
> Of course those computers can do a lot of good things when they
> work.....it's just when they decide not to that makes us all
> grumble.....
>
> Brad

This is one of the BIG things currently with fire equipment. With most
of the engine makers and control systems going to electronics and having
no mechanical back-up a failure could be deadly.
I for one do not like the idea of having a computer in command.
Having a system that could shut down because a sensor fails or a wire
breaks while I'm inside a burning building just doesn't seem like a good
idea.

--
Steve W.