[AT] Can you hear me now?

Brad Gunnells brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 4 14:43:26 PST 2010

That's the thing, there isn't nearly as much "mechanical" as we're
used to. The only mechanical part is the way we operate the
electrical switch.  :-)

I remember the first time I test drove a newer Ford PowerStroke (a
'99 but wound up buying an '01). It had low miles for the year and
after driving it I thought maybe it was a lemon and wanted no part of
it. I wasn't used to the idea that there wasn't anything from my
right foot connecting under the hood. I'd mash the pedal and it would
just slowly creep along. I almost wrecked it trying to pull out in
traffic on the test drive. Then I thought the transmission was
slipping as the engine speed was pretty high driving down the road.
(I test drove it on a 25 degree day)

I later figured out with my current truck that the computer won't
dump a bunch of fuel to it until it has a chance to warm a bit. And
the transmission and turbo waste-gate also do things to help bring
the engine up to temp. It was a far different animal to drive than
what I was expecting at the time as I had an '84 with a 4 speed. That
truck had a real cable to the injection pump and the only computer
was the one in my laptop bag.

Of course those computers can do a lot of good things when they
work.....it's just when they decide not to that makes us all
grumble.....

Brad