[AT] Can you hear me now?

Gunnells, Bradley R brad-gunnells at uiowa.edu
Thu Feb 4 17:47:12 PST 2010

I can understand that concern. I didn't think about fire and EMS personnel and their equipment. There was a topic of redundancy earlier in aircraft.

The small volunteer departments and municipalities would have a hard time funding specialty rigs with redundancy since it's not mainstream in the market.

Brad

> Of course those computers can do a lot of good things when they
> work.....it's just when they decide not to that makes us all
> grumble.....
>
> Brad

This is one of the BIG things currently with fire equipment. With most
of the engine makers and control systems going to electronics and having
no mechanical back-up a failure could be deadly.
I for one do not like the idea of having a computer in command.
Having a system that could shut down because a sensor fails or a wire
breaks while I'm inside a burning building just doesn't seem like a good
idea.

--
Steve W.