[AT] WAS: Snow Blower now Belt Dressing

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Wed Aug 18 13:11:08 PDT 2010

Watch the steam guys at a show.
Standard steam practice is to cross the belt.

This does a couple things.

The 2 sides of the belt rubbing against each other
dampens out belt oscillations, and the twist kills
the lateral rigidity of a belt that has a bit of curve to it.

Crossing the belt, with the resultant reversal of direction,
may not be practical on non-reversible tractor belt pulleys,
but a compromise I've seen is to turn one end of the belt
inside out, so both top + bottom runs have a 180 degree twist.
This cancels out any lateral curve in the belt.

The most important factor is having a bit of crown on your
pulleys, but if you need more than the small amount that
was designed into the pulleys, you probably have a curved belt
or something else wrong.

Dave Merchant

At 01:51 PM 8/18/2010, you wrote:
>Alignment on a flat belt is almost a "no-brainer".  When a belt wants to
>walk it is going toward the LONGEST distance between centers it can
>possibly find.  It involves more than just getting the input and output
>axles lined up, but one of the pulleys needs to have a slight crown to it
>so the longest distance between rotating centers is always in the center
>of the belt.  If you don't have that condition because of limitations on
>what you can do with your belting situation, it will always cause you
>trouble.  If you have ever looked closely at a line shaft installation,
>you will find at least one pulley in every pair is crowned.  Cast iron
>pulleys are made that way on purpose.  It isn't just that having the
>parting line in the middle of the pulley was easy -- it is necessary.  We
>had trouble keeping the flat belt on the hammer mill when we first bought
>it and tried to power it with our John Deere.  So Dad wound several layers
>of friction tape around the center of the pulley on the mill so it was
>slightly crowned.  It solved the problem, and I found out at an early age
>that friction tape isn't just for the handles of baseball bats.
>
>For those of you with band saws in your shop, look closely at the pulleys,
>and see how changing the adjustment of the angle changes the location of
>the saw blade as it rotates.  Belt sanders work similarly.
>
>Larry

Dave Merchant
kosh at nesys.com
nesys_com at ameritech.net
dmerchant at layerzero.com

http://www.nesys.com
http://www.nesys.org
YouTube: SteamCrane

"I've just completed Mike's Nature trick of adding in the real temps
to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards)
and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."
         - Prof. Phil Jones
         - Director, Climatic Research Unit
         - School of Environmental Sciences
         - University of East Anglia