[AT] Snow Blower

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 16 11:26:00 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "charlie hill" <charliehill at embarqmail.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 8:08 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Snow Blower
> thinking how nice it would work if you rigged up a front mounted 3 pt
> hitch
> and drove the blower with a hydraulic motor.  For that matter it could be
> mounted to a front loader frame or a skid steer.  I don't know how much HP
> it requires.  I suspect it would take a good bit of hydraulic fluid flow
> run it.

Charlie, regarding horsepower requirements, I can tell you from 35 years
experience with the McKee 6 foot rear mount snowblower that at times it
takes all 40 horsepower in the Cockshutt 40 to run the blower.
Depends a lot on snow depth, weight, etc, but when I hit that perfect
balance of traction and power its pretty impressive. The old Buda 6 is
working at full load in low reverse. Theres just enough weight on the rear
wheels that they won't spin out and at times I've had it pushing more snow
than the blower can blow away.
No doubt I"ve mentioned before that my driveway is half a mile long plus a
big yard to clear so yes, sometimes my neck gets a little sore from looking
backwards.
But the huge advantage of all that weight on the rear wheels is a big factor
in my preference for rear mount blowers. Put all that weight up front on an
old lightweight tractor and you can get stuck so easy. Just get the front
wheels over the shoulder of the road and you might as well start walking for
a shovel or another tractor.
With the rear mount, if the tractor spins out, just lift the blower and
drive away forwards. I won't say its never got me stuck but its a rare
occurence.

Ralph in Sask.