[AT] TMCOTKU tractor count is down by one.

Ernst Borchert eb3 at shelby.net
Thu Oct 22 05:58:35 PDT 2009

In the forties and fifties my father had Farmalls and John Deeres to
cultivate his tomatoes and peppers he grew on his southern California
farm.  In the late forties the Japaneses used the Ford 9N and 2N big
wheel tractors to cultivate with. They looked like stink bugs with the
big diameter tire in the rear. We laughed at them as we did not consider
them real tractors and imagining how hard it was to cultivate with
cultivators in the rear. We thought of them as cheap and a jack of all
trades and master of none.
	Yet that is why we have a 9N and an 8N today, to do the simple
jobs that don't take and power or skill. Being within ten miles of a
Ford N series parts doesn't hurt.
	One observation, you sit on a cultivating tractor, but you sit
in a Ford N series tractor. There is something about looking over the
hood of a Ford N series tractor that is hard to explain. It is a good
feeling. So I went from hate as a kid to love as a senior.