[AT] OT... sort of - negatives

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 21:25:33 PDT 2009

On Oct 19, 2009, at 8:56 PM, Larry Goss wrote:

> [Enter soapbox mode]
>
> Some of what you are saying, Hank, is similar to the official stance
> of one of the library archiving societies.  Unfortunately, that
> particular group is still operating under the assumption that once
> an item is archived, it's been done and doesn't need anything
> additional done to it.

<Authoritative Expert Opinion mode ON>

I can relate from "the horses mouth" his conclusion about this.  The
fellow was at NBS (National Bureau of Standards, later NIST, National
Institute of Standards and Technology), where I worked for quite a
while.  He was the long time authority on microfilm, and called The
Archivist of the United States by his first name, having worked with
him personally for quite a few decades.

His opinion was this:  "For archival storage of information, there is
only one choice: microfilm.  For use by researchers, librarians, the
general public and whomever else, use digital methods.  Count on the
digital forms for ease of use, easy search and retrieval, and lowest
cost in the medium time frame.  But do NOT count on digits for long
term storage - that is, from decades to hundreds of years."

<Authoritative Expert Opinion mode OFF>

Roy

Roy Morgan
k1lky at earthlink.net