[AT] OT... sort of - negatives

hank at millerfarm.com hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Oct 20 12:49:32 PDT 2009

I half agree with you.  It is important to change anything you care
about to modern formats.   However there are several issues with that.
   Often as technology moves on we discover a better way to transfer.
  CDs are 16bit sound, but many professionals are using 24bit
equipment now (there is debate about if there is any real advantage to
this).   Many originals have been moved to modern media several times
because the original analog recordings were higher quality than the
first transfers.   I know people who moved their records to cassette,
and are now moving the same records to CD, without using those
cassettes.   DVD is not anywhere near as good as film, and (under
ideal conditions that never happen in the real world) isn't as good as
VHS.  If you moved your family movies to DVD, you might want to move
them again to something more modern that doesn't have the limitations
of DVD (and this may happen again so don't throw away those old 8mm).

I've seen cds fail after just 2 months.   Archival CDs/DVDs should
last longer, meaning you have a chance of still reading them when the
next technology comes out.  The expense isn't that much more.   This
is why I suggest archival CDs.

I disagree with your statement that music dies with us.  Of course the
latest thing will always sell better than what we grew up with.
However once in a while people still listen to wax records from more
than 100 years ago from general interest.   People would love to have
recordings of Bach or Beethoven, and we have no idea who will become
popular again in the future.

Even if you are talking about personal stuff, you don't know who will
care.  Nobody is interested in some random guy singing off key - but
if that is great-great-great grandpa there is a connection and it will
be listened to once in a while for fun.  (The key here is make sure
everyone knows it is great-great-great grandpa).

Nobody thought the Ford Edsel was worth anything at the time, but now
it is a hot collectors item.   Meanwhile much nicer cars and tractors
are worth much less.