[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Oct 4 19:37:44 PDT 2009

charliehill wrote:
> Steve there was a speaker at one meeting that worked for a huge powder
> coating facility in TN.  They powder coat any and everything right down to
> the cell phone cases and the handles on razors.  Anyway he shared a story
> about some fairly large metal item (something of bbq grill or dishwasher
> size) that they were having small random coating failures on.  They could
> not figure it out until one day someone noticed that some of the workers
> were wearing those silicone rubber bracelets we often see now, usually as a
> symbol for some charity like breast cancer research etc.   They got to
> looking into it and figured out that if one of those bracelets just
> casually brushed against the metal it would put enough "oil" on the surface
> to cause the failure.  They banned folks from wearing the bracelets and the
> problem went away.
>
> Charlie

Not an uncommon thing. We did a LOT of different items in the shop. GM,
Ford, Chrysler parts, Stuff for Carrier, AM General Hummer parts, We
even had the contract on the Mercury Marine ZR-1 intakes and valve
bodies. Turbine seals for GM, Fork truck parts for Raymond lifts, Plus a
few thousand other items.

Lot's of fun. My former boss would have been at that show as well. They
are running on a shoestring now because a lot of places have installed
powder lines.

--
Steve W.