[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Oct 4 09:17:17 PDT 2009

charliehill wrote:
> A few years back I was looking into the powder coating business.  I went to
> a couple of seminars and trade conventions.  The secret to a good powder
> coat job is cleanliness of the parts being coated.  The industry standard
> for cleaning is hot water with phosphate cleaners.  Basically tri sodium
> phosphate in a hot water bath.
>
> I would think for cleaning grungy parts you'd want to get the bulk of the
> crud off before putting them in the phosphate bath.  One good thing about
> phosphate cleaners is that they tend to bind heavy metal contaminants such
> as lead.  The waste can then be disposed of without special treatment. (if
> you're worried about that).

Powder coat, spent a few years in that business myself. We used
different cleaning methods depending on the original dirt/grease.
Most went through a 5 stage cleaning if they were simple oils.
When odd materials or parts that only had minimal oil came up they got
vapor treated then coated NOW.
With powder ANY oil/dirt/contaminate will cause problems.

--
Steve W.