[AT] Automatic parts washer please!

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 04:46:19 PDT 2009

I doubt anyone would be surprised to learn that the US EPA has
effectively outlawed the good old Vapor Degreaser.  We still had one
in use when I started my current job in 1996, but even then we had to
report to the Gov't exactly how much chemical we purchased (we used
Perchloroethylene, aka Perc, aka dry-cleaner fluid) so they could
figure out how much vapor we lost into the sky.  Ours used actual
refrigeration, not just cold water, on the top coils, but over time
you lose a LOT of vapor no matter what.

In my home shop I use a couple gallons of mineral spirits in an old
cook pot.  I dip parts in a "basket" that's actually an old strainer,
also cast-off from the kitchen (shop the yard/garage/barn/tag sales if
the missus isn't cooperative).  Obviously I am not doing engine blocks
with a setup this size.  Keep it covered and vapor loss is minimal.
Nice thing about mineral spirits is it's somewhat self-cleaning.
Takes a few days, but the gunk tends to fall out of solution and
collect in the bottom.  Every now  and then I filter it thru a paper
towel and swipe the sludge out of the cook pot.

For small incidental stuff, I often use isopropyl alcohol.  It's
pretty cheap, a couple dollars a quart at the pharmacy.  Use the 91%
stuff, not the 70%.  I also use it after the mineral spirits if I am
shooting for squeaky-clean, like say the stuff is going to be painted.

Steve O.