[AT] Stoddard Solvent...

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Fri Oct 2 15:21:21 PDT 2009

I have a customer who is an oil jobber.  I was looking for Stoddard a few
years back and he told me to buy mineral spirits, said it's the same
thing...also the same thing as charcoal lighter.  So I've been buying
mineral spirits sometimes from the oil jobber and sometimes from the local
discount store in the paint department, 5 gallon cans.  I forget what I last
paid for it, seems like maybe $40 for a 5 gal can.  Seemed pricey but not as
bad as what you're seeing.

I fill my charcoal lighter bottles out of the mineral spirits can, too.

Don't know what to say about disposal.  I live out in the country and it
gets used up starting fires when we're cleaning up brush and such.  You
know, like when we're starting a campfire to toast marshmallows.

B²

Bill Brueck
Chatfield, MN USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.