[AT] welding problems

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sun Nov 15 17:57:16 PST 2009

If welding with DC and there are a lot of problems getting a bead to
run, sometimes I wrap about 4 turns of the electrode cable around the
piece then weld on it.  Sometimes it works better if you wrap the ground
lead on it.  We used to get some 6011IP from McKay.  It welded like
squirting butter!!  It had iron powder in the flux.  Cannot seem to get
it anymore in an rod larger than 3/32.  I have welded with everything
except tig, and my go-to welder is my Lincoln Idealarc 250 AC DC.  I
have 2 of them and one sits outside with a cover on it where I do most
of my welding.  I just do not like welding in the shop.  Never know
where those sparks go to...  I would check if you have low voltage at
your outlet for the sticking problem.  A marquette welder was usually a
good one in the early days.  I have one that is AC only and it is made
of a plywood box.  It is a great welder!!  It can burn 3/16 6011 for a
long time.  I cannot find a lot of information about it, just that it
was probably made during WWII for production since steel was in short
supply.
Cecil in OKla