[AT] welding problems

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 15 17:14:56 PST 2009

John,  I used to work for an industrial contractor.  Every year this
particular company had the same job during the maintenance shut downs at a
paper mill.  It involved some heavy duty welding on some de-barking drums.
One year our welders (these were big wire welders) wouldn't do the job.
They were the same welders and same kind of wire we had always used.  We
called the welding supply people to figure out what was wrong.  When they
finally figured it out they realized that the new steel we were welding in
had somehow gotten magnetized.  It wasn't the welders or the wire,  it was
the steel.

I'm not saying your steel is magnetic.  I'm just saying the problem might be
something you're not expecting or looking for.

Charlie