[AJD] Bad tractor day (getting better) - 1950 AR

Tommy Wilson t17wilson at comcast.net
Wed Jun 10 18:16:29 PDT 2009

After thinking about it for a while I too agreed that there was just
too much oil coming out to be coming from around the rings. Plus
there was oil coming out from the top of the hose connection on the
carburetor side of the air cleaner. A mouse nest was a good
possibility although my tractors are not in a barn, I hadn't seen any
signs and we got a killer of a cat! The first thing I did was to take
off the oil bath. No help there as the oil was as clean as it was
when I filled it after restoration. I was hoping to at least find
some pieces of grass! Tonight we decided to go ahead and take the
front grill section off in order to remove the air cleaner and then
the air intake. Everything in there was as clean as a whistle, except
for the coating of oil! I took a welding rod and stuck down the drain
hole in the bottom of the intake. Very tight, a good sign in this
case. A little more prodding and some dirt began to fall to the top.
I think we've found the problem. Dirt dobbers! Ended up knocking
about a half a cup of dirt out of the intake. Certainly enough to
stop up the air flow. Hopefully tomorrow night we can put her back
together and fire her up. I feel much better tonight! Thanks guys!!!!

At 10:50 AM 6/9/2009, you wrote:
>Tommy,
>
>You describe a very high amount of oil coming from the exhaust.  That tells
>me that your engine is possibly sucking oil from one place or another.   All
>but very bad rings would scrape most oil from the cylinder walls, but oil
>entering the breather could indeed be sufficiently high to cause wet oil to
>come from the exhaust.  The suggestion of a blocked air intake is an easy
>one to check, and because of that, it would be high on the "check first"
>list.  I would also check to make sure that your oil level isn't too high.
>
>Good luck,
>Mike

Tommy Wilson
Warrenton, VA