[AJD] Bad tractor day - 1950 AR

Tommy Wilson t17wilson at comcast.net
Thu Jun 11 18:18:03 PDT 2009

After thinking about it for a while I too agreed that there was just
too much oil coming out to be coming from around the rings. Plus
there was oil coming out from the top of the hose connection on the
carburetor side of the air cleaner. A mouse nest was a good
possibility although my tractors are not in a barn, I hadn't seen any
signs and we got a killer of a cat! The first thing I did was to take
off the oil bath. No help there as the oil was as clean as it was
when I filled it after restoration. I was hoping to at least find
some pieces of grass! Tonight we decided to go ahead and take the
front grill section off in order to remove the air cleaner and then
the air intake. Everything in there was as clean as a whistle, except
for the coating of oil! I took a welding rod and stuck down the drain
hole in the bottom of the intake. Very tight, a good sign in this
case. A little more prodding and some dirt began to fall to the top.
I think we've found the problem. Dirt dobbers! Ended up knocking
about a half a cup of dirt out of the intake. Certainly enough to
stop up the air flow. Hopefully tomorrow night we can put her back
together and fire her up. I feel much better tonight! Thanks guys!!!!

Tommy Wilson
Warrenton, VA
1948 IH Cub
1950 IH H