[AT] OT(?) Cub Cadet 1812 Hydro question

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:10:00 PDT 2009

Thank you, Larry, and I greatly appreciate the input.

My primary concern is for how much of my free time is spent mowing.
I'll be happy to spend some money if I can significantly reduce the
time, because I just don't have that  much free time.  Also, my wife
has indicated a willingness to pitch in, so any piece of equipment
(either the CC 1812 we've been discussing, or perhaps a new ZTR if it
goes that way) will have to be something that she can/will operate.

I have roughly a couple acres I mow; some of it is true "lawn" nearer
to the house, and as you get away from the house, it's actually more
like old pasture that looks sort of lawn-ish if you keep it mowed.
Terrain is increasingly rough and uneven as you get farther away from
the house as well.  I've got gentle rolling slopes, ledge rock, and
lots of trees and perennial beds to maneuver around.  Right now using
a 17HP 42" gear-drive walk-behind, in the highest mowing gear (~2.5
mph), with very little overlap regardless of the quality of cut
produced, I am cutting for 4 - 4.5 hrs per session.  Actual time well
over 5 hrs because I need breaks, refueling, etc.  I'd like to get
that down under 3-ish hours give or take.  Then, for most of the
season anyway, it could be done in a single evening after work, and
never more than a couple evenings back to back.  As it is now, it's at
least two evenings and sometimes three.  Really hard to get that many
back-to-back given other commitments and the weather, and if a section
gets skipped, then it gets out of control and slows me down even more,
aaargh.

So right now the plan is to get the CC back in action, then give it a
whirl next time I need to mow (soon).  Also let my wife have at it and
see what she thinks.  Whatever we do for a mowing machine long-term,
it needs to be reliable so she doesn't have to futz around with
anything, just hop on and twist the key like it's the family car.

Steve O.