[AT] McCormick W-4 adventures

Roy Morgan k1lky at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 4 20:00:26 PDT 2009

The '51 McCormick W-4 got my attention for most of the day today. It
had showed low oil pressure last Fall, and there is a LOT to do to the
thing.  I was very pleased that it started right up on the first try,
and the oil pressure seems fine.

I changed the oil and filter and there I ran into a problem.  The old
filter cover gasket was still in the housing,and would not come out.
I had to make a scraper tool from a bit of steel. I'd collected a
couple of the "brush" pieces from street sweepers: about 1/8 inch wide
and made of spring steel.  I put a single tooth on the end of a short
piece with the bench grinder and held it in a small vice grip. Lots of
work later, I had the old hard, dried up gasket all scraped out.  Now
the new one that came with the filter would seat correctly, and
hopefully cure at least one of the leaks this old work horse has.

Maybe I should have left well enough alone, but I took off the fuel
sediment bowl to clean the 1/8 inch of crud in the bottom.  Now the
fuel leaks around the gasket for the bowl.  I'd had problems getting
it to shut off last year, with fuel dripping from the carburetor after
I'd hand tightened the shut off valve.  So, I'm searching for a
replacement assembly.  These guys seem to sell the whole assembly for
$20.
http://www.tractorpart.com/
Seems like a bargain for shutoff valve, bowl, bowl clamp and all.
Does that seem reasonable?

I tried the CASE IH web site and started a parts search but got
nowhere.  Apparently their search engine does not know about Model W-4
or M.

I cleaned off the PTO shaft and it looks like new. Apparently there
has been no rust and no use on the thing.  I tried to fit the
freewheel clutch adapter I got at TSC but it won't slide on farther
than about 5/8 of an inch.  Tapping with a hammer just jams it.  The
thing was made in China, so I may have a tolerance/size problem.  I'd
hate to buy a new or used PTO shaft to find it also did not fit.  I'm
willing to bet that changing it for another one will bring the same
results.

Any suggestions?

Roy

Roy Morgan