[Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Wed Jul 1 08:29:51 PDT 2009

Larry,
>From anything I have seen, there are 3 varieties of ignition coils, each
should be labeled accordingly.
   6 volt - never uses a ballast resistor, wire from igniton switch straight
to coil, another wire coil to distibutor.
   12 volt no ballast resistor required, wired same as 6 volt.
   12 volt ballast resistor required, wire from ignition switch to coil,
another wire resistor to coil, third wire coil to distibutor.

Ballast resistors come in a variety of styles.  Any with only 2 electrical
terminals will work fine.  For tractor use, I see no particular advantage to
using a coil that requires an extenal ballast.

Jim Becker        jim.becker at verizon.net