[Farmall] International A died (and I am baffled)

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Wed Jul 1 09:08:51 PDT 2009

JIm,  I had to get a different set of points from the Case-IH dealer.  The parts man was surprised that the magneto was disconnected.  I suppose the magneto might have gone bad and whoever did the converion put on the external coil.  I suppose otherwise the alternator could have been connected with the battery and starter and the magneto could have been left separate to run the engine.

Out of curiousity I took the coil to the local electrical shop that works on starters, magnetors, etc.  The part man checked the numbers and it is a Delco Remy six volt coil without resister.  It said it does not make any difference.  He said coils cannot tell voltage.

Ummm,  I thought a six volt coil would run hot if twelve volts fed into it.  I have the tractor several years and it is worked fine.  Now there is a solenoid ahead of it froming from the battery and starter.  Also, there is an external condenser connected where the kill switch is connected (and internal condenser in the magneto) to the magneto.

Now, the points are (very) bad.  I will put them on later today and see what happens.  Rotor and cap looks fine.  So, maybe just bad points.  Hopefully, later in the day I will know.

Now, I checked and my Dad's Super C has been converted over.  It has the ceramic resister ahead of the normal (not automative add on coil) coil on top of the distributor.  It also has the oil pressure exciter (if I have the term correct) to activate the alternator.

I guess lots of different ways to do things.

Thanks much.

Larry