[AT] [Ford-ferguson] More 8N questions

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Tue Jul 21 20:37:32 PDT 2009

We have a lot of treated 4x6's cut to 2 and 3 foot lengths for cribbing.

We were pleasantly surprised recently to find that our local Home Depot
was willing to do the length cuts on the treated timbers, saving us from
wrecking one of our saw blades.  They can do 4x6's, but not 6x6's.
The treated 4x6's are surprisingly cheap considering their weight.
We normally use bottle jacks.

If you ever watch heavy equipment repair, it is always done with
bottle jacks + wood cribbing, never steel props or concrete blocks.
They generally prefer 12x12's...

Concrete blocks (cinder blocks) are very loosely aggregated,
and crumble when loaded different from their intended purpose
of building mortared walls.  Try picking up a solid block of
concrete the same dimensions as a cinder block...!

The new 8N was very nice newish blocky retreads on the back,
and on the front, 1 auto tire and 1 small groove lawn machine tire.
Trying to get a couple 3-ribs by the weekend, in case we
do take it to the local show.  I'm afraid the current front tires
might blow out on the angle iron skeleton trailer ramps.

The calcium removal issue will have to wait a while.

Dave Merchant