[Ford-ferguson] More 8N questions

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 19:02:20 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Jim Peck @Yahoo<jamesgpeck at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am interested in the jack(s) you are using and the jack stands, if any, to
> hold the tractors up. How are you lifting the tires? These are small details but
> are important in DIY success.

Hi Jim:
I have a small herd of jacks, some really old but good. Some are
mechanical and some hydraulic.
A large part of the time I use a "killer" aka a "Hi-lift" jack. One
will lift about any mid-size and smaller tractor easily and if you get
sloppy and trust it it will whack you a good one (ask my son how it
felt many years ago when he learned that). You have to keep them well
lubed and rebuild them at the first sign of not functioning perfectly.
I have tall truck type ratchet jack stands that I use some but I am
more fond of cribbing blocks for heavy stuff. Solid wood blocks not
concrete blocks.
Some times I just use the loader tractor to lift one and then crib up
to hold it in place.
I can lift most unfilled tires up from flat on the ground. Well, OK, I
could last year  :-)  If I lay a filled one down I lift it with the
loader of the 3 point boom on another tractor. I also now have one of
these that should sit one up if needed.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=37555
Most of the time I don't lift them, I just roll tires and wheels
around. If tire is cooperative I usually just change it still on the
tractor. They don't move around a lot still bolted to the tractor.
:-)
-
I don't have one of those pneumatic/hydraulic bead breakers but I do
have a large slide hammer bead breaker and if one is extra tough I
have a shop built 3 point bead breaker that I use on my Farmall Super
M which has a 3 point hitch with down pressure. Most of the time
though I just use a bead breaker hammer. I got in the habit of using
one many years ago.

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson