[AT] Ford V-10

Dean Van Peursem deanvp at att.net
Mon Jan 19 21:21:51 PST 2009

Don,

I can only provide anecdotal information on the V10. I own a 2003 Ford F250,
Lariat, Extended Cab, 4X4, 7.3L diesel engine and Long bed. Pull a 38' 5th
wheel Montana 3400 RL with it which is right at or slightly over the GCVWR
for the truck/5th wheel combination. When comparing mileage with my brother
in-law who owns a similar truck but with a V10 in it, his mileage was
considerably less, like 4 mpg less than what I get when fully loaded. He
experienced 8MPG average quite often fully loaded. I average around 12 MPG
fully loaded on 1600 trips assuming no head or tail wind of significance.
The newer Ford Diesel trucks get less loaded mileage than I do with the 7.3L
diesel engine. I suspect he doesn't quite have as much torque either.
However, I would strongly recommend you stay away from Ford's 6.0 or 6.4L
diesel manufactured from 2003 up to and including current models. The 6.0L
Diesel was a problem engine for Ford and the 6.4L Diesel while being less
troublesome is still having some problems. More than acceptable. So if you
want to stay with a Ford Chassis the V10 probably is the best choice right
now. I've not had any troubles with my automatic transmission pulling very
heavy loads and have not heard of many if any problems with the automatic
transmissions used on Fords since 2003. However, the Ford automatic
transmissions have had some significant improvements since 2003. But a very
important factor in mileage is the rear end ratio and you should check that
out before you purchase anything. Many owners have elected to go to lower
speed rear ends (higher ratios) to get better lugging power. The mileage is
very much impacted going from a 3.73 vs a 4.1 to a 4.3???? Don't remember
the higher ratio specifically. I have a 3.73 ratio and while that doesn't
give quite as good lugging power, the average mileage loaded is better than
expected. The question that needs to be asked is: How fast do you want to go
when climbing mountain passes. I elected to go a little slower going up
passes to get better mileage on the flatter portion (large majority) of the
trip. A few minutes more doesn't matter very much to me. The key to get good
mileage is to find the "sweet spot" speed that yields the best mileage. 60
MPH fully loaded is the best for the way my truck is configured.  YMMV.

I would suggest doing a little research on the WWW to determine what others
are getting with the combination of V10, ?.?? Rear End Ratio and something
with a similar type class C RV mounted on it. Those pulling a 5th wheel at
similar weights would be informative too. Unfortunately, due to our human
nature you will have to filter the data a little due to those who are
getting less mileage than what they want to admit publically!  :-) Make sure
you get engine, rear end ratio, total weight and typical driving conditions
at the same time or the data will not be all that meaningful. I tend to
average mine over 1600 miles since that is the distance we travel from NW WA
to the Phoenix, AZ area each winter. Just to show how the data can get
skewed w/o proper data to go with it. I was able to get 14.8 MPG fully
loaded on a tank of diesel driving down the San Joaquin Valley in CA. Man I
was really impressed but then realized I had a significant tailwind during
that segment on completely flat roads. So get all the data to go with MPG
quotes and be suspicious of anything very high! .

Good Luck.

Dean Van Peursem
Apache Junction, AZ

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at
once."