[AT] Ford V-10

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Mon Jan 19 22:54:17 PST 2009

Don,

I have a 2000 F350 4X4, Single Rear Wheel.  It has a 5.4L gas engine and an
automatic transmission, and 4.10 gear ratio.  It has 179,000 miles on it. I
plow snow and tow a 25' gooseneck equipment trailer with it.  Empty on the
highway I get about 13 mpg. When I pull my trailer, I get about 9 - 10 mpg.
My trailer weighs about 8,000 lbs empty.  I have had 17,000 lbs loaded on
it, and my truck handled it just fine.

I have never touched the transmission on my truck, other than to change the
fluid.  The only problem with the engine is that I have had to replace the
right side exhaust manifold.

The biggest problem that I have had with the truck is the brakes.  I was
going though pads, calipers, and rotors quite regularly.  When I started to
use parts from NAPA, instead of Ford OEM parts, my brake problems went away.
Go figure.

I have been looking at newer Ford trucks. I know that Ford increased the HP
and torque of the V8, but I am not impressed.  My truck has 260 HP, the
newer ones have 300 HP and only 15 ft lbs more torque.  The thing the
doesn't impress me is that the new engines build their torque and HP at much
higher RPM's.  The HP is at 500 RPM more and the torque is at 1,250 RPM
more.  That really defeats the purpose I think. However for the new V10 the
HP rating is at 362 at 4750 RPM and the torque is 457 at 3250 RPM.  The V10 is the
same basic engine as the V8, only with 2 cylinders added.

Lou