[AT] Big Coleman 6 hp

Mark Greer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Thu Jan 15 07:38:42 PST 2009

Get a 125 watt or 250 watt infrared heat lamp bulb (like you use in a
chicken brooder) and put it in one of those clamp on utility lights with the
aluminum reflector/shield. Clamp it to something with the light pointing at
the compressor and locate the light about a foot away. In a few minutes the
compressor will be plenty warm. Infrared is the only way to go here as it
heats the object more than it illuminates it. Incandescent bulbs do just the
opposite and the small amount of heating that results is just a byproduct of
creating light and is not radiated to heat objects like and infrared is
intended to do. I have a little Senco 2hp portable that requires a 20 amp
circuit when the temperature is warm. When it is cold (below freezing) the
miserable little thing pops a breaker every time so I preheat it this way
and then it is fine. It makes a lot of heat just running so if I am using it
repeatedly the pump stays warm enough after the first start to start easily
the next time.
Mark