[AT] Oil for COLD weather - Cub Cadet

Stephen Offiler soffiler at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 05:37:52 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Roy Morgan <k1lky at earthlink.net> wrote:

> So I would be wise to use synthetic oil in that Kohler 20 HP engine.
> The manual says that you can use synthetic oil but do not extend the
> time between oil changes.  What is semi-synthetic oil?  Any
> recommended brand(s)?

Semi-synthetic is simply part synthetic oil, part natural oil.  A
marketing gimmic, in my book.  If you want synth oil, get full synth
and don't fool around.  I use Mobil-1 but there are several excellent
ones.  Red Line, Amsoil, and Royal Purple come immediately to mind.  I
recently noticed conventional Castrol GTX 5W-30 is close to $5 a
quart, and Mobil-1 is running around $8 a quart or so.  For three
bucks, for gosh sake, just get the good stuff (the full synth).

I run Mobil-1 in my car, 5W-20 per the manual, and this morning at +4F
it cranked and fired like it was 70F and no I am not exaggerating.

Steve O.