[AT] CAT magneto

Dave Merchant kosh at ncweb.com
Sun Feb 15 11:19:29 PST 2009

Cat used similar looking magnetos on many different engines,
but note that some were clockwise rotation and some were ccw.

On the D2 + D4, opposed ponies, the mag mounts on top of the pony,
while on the D6 opposed pony + the vertical ones on the D7 and up,
the mag is mounted at the end of the pony, turning opposite direction.

Parts from both rotations will fit together in the case, but won't work.

Some of these mags have a direction arrow, some don't.

Mags are one of their few weak points of Cats.
The mag shaft is very thin, with a big coarse tooth gear on it
to engage the gear train on the pony.
Over rev the pony + and the mag shaft snaps, causing gear teeth
to break + travel down thru the gear train.

I've seen Eisenman + Bosch.

Some people that just need to have the machine operable mount
a modern gas engine belted up to the flat faced pony  flywheel.

Dave Merchant