[AT] CAT magneto

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Sun Feb 15 10:44:23 PST 2009

Gene and Joe, thanks for your comments.

 A fellow brought me the cap, rotor and points yesterday out of his grader
to see if I could help him with some new parts. I cleaned the cap up and
installed new brushes. The rotor is a yellowish phenolic/bakelite part that
has a gazillion cracks in it. I told him to try a tad of Super glue to see
if it would seal the cracks. The points were burnt but i polished them to
work well enough. Looking at the points they resemble something by
Faribanks. I've got a bunch of NOS Eismann stuff but it is all for big
magnetos--and the funny thing is I have never worked on an Eismann. Of
course Cat told the guy nothing was available--I'd hate to pay their price
if it was!

 The fellow was going to see if he could find any writing (model #) without
taking the mag off. If he can't I just wanted to know what possibilities
there were before I start hunting a new rotor or if he had to pull the mag
off.

John