[AT] How about this orange tractor, Attn: Travis

Henry Miller hank at millerfarm.com
Tue Feb 10 13:30:30 PST 2009

As the maker of computer diagnostics (otc genisys), the computer knows about 80%, and the parts replacer just replaces that part (cheaper than fixing it).  There is no real need for brains, so leave them at the door.

That other 20%...  Well it is still a 4 cycle engine, and everthing from a 1887 engine appies, plus a bunch of new things like EGR.  Some times understanding hot tube ignition or points helps solve problems even on modern distributorless ignition systems.  The most important part is problem solving skills combined with an understanding of how things work.  (Expirence is helpful too)  Once you have that the computer can tell you lots of interesting things, but if you don't know what it means knowing the data won't help.

Stephen Offiler <soffiler at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 2:51 PM, yestergears at intrstar.net
><yestergears at intrstar.net> wrote:
>
>>  Talking with the dealer, he told me they are looking for computer operators moreso than mechanics these days.... Amazing... He said
>> the computer told them what to replace repair now.  Then all he needed was a parts changer.
>
>I say bullcrap.  That dealer is sadly mistaken, and he will be bitten
>by his own perception that all he needs is a "parts changer".  This
>perception is rampant in the automotive world these days too, although
>most dealers and independent shops know the real score, and it's the
>consumer who thinks the computer does all the real work and some
>minimum-wage drone hangs the parts.  The fact is, as systems become
>more complex, so do the repairs, and even higher-skilled technicians
>are required.
>
>Steve O.

Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.

--
Sent from my Android phone with K-9. Please excuse my brevity.