[AT] Funny Tractor Stories

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 11:48:25 PST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:50 PM, John Widener <johnwidener at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> What funny tractor moment do you remember the most? It could be a funny
> event that happened driving one, or working on one, or maybe even a funny
> story about finding one. I will start with mine.
>
> When i was about 19 i went with my father and uncle to one of dads
> co-workers place to look at an antique tractor. I wasnt into the tractor or
> engine scene as i am now. Well, after the deal was made, i went out to help
> dad lower the tailgate of the trailer and my uncle stayed behind. When my
> father and i returned, i was walking around the tractor looking at it and
> saw a wet spot beside one of the rear tires. I told my uncle about the spot
> and he advised me to bend down and smell it and tell him if it was brake
> fluid. I got down to about axle level when he started busting out laughing
> so hard he was crying. Then i knew what it was... At least i hadnt got down
> to ground level yet. And now i know that a Farmall H doesnt have brake
> fluid.

Mine was on a garden tractor. I had one of those Roper built sears
lawn tractors that I bought new in about 1966 or 1967 or so. It was an
8HP which was a fair sized lawn tractor back then. I had a three point
hitch on it and plowed my gardens with it and also cultivated the
gardens with it.
I had taken it to an old house a buddy had bought to help him cut the
badly overgrown lawn and barn lot. He has a similar unit. The stuff
had gotten about 3' tall and we ran over it several times. I was
mowing out by a garage and stopped to pick up a coke can that was just
behind the mower. Like an idiot I leaned over the back to pick it up
(the engine still running full throttle) and my foot slipped off of
the side of the clutch. All of a sudden I was laying there on the
ground looking at the sky and the mower was headed for the next
county. My buddy came running and stopped the mower and then came to
see if I was hurt. While I was in a good bit of pain we could hardly
talk about it because we were both laughing so hard. While I did not
actually "see" what happened I had a pretty good image and he said
from his view it looked like something out of a cartoon...  :-)
-
I try to do something really really stupid every few years just to
test my luck.  :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson