[AT] Funny Tractor Stories

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Dec 17 14:26:03 PST 2009

I had a hard time coming up with something funny, but then my wife
reminded me about the first tractor we bought (and the only new one). It
was an Economy Jim Dandy about 1971 or so. I bought it with a 48" rotary
mower and some other implements but I asked that it be delivered with
the mower installed, as that was my prime requirement. The dealer
delivered it, dropped it off the roll-back, gave me some minimal
instructions in its operation, and took off for home. After walking
around it and admiring my new purchase, I hopped on, started the engine,
engaged the mower clutch and took off around the yard. Only the grass
didn't look any different where I had "mowed". I shut everything down
and looked under the deck, and there were no blades! The next day a very
embarrassed dealer mechanic showed up with the blades and bolted them on
to the spindles.

I put a LOT of hours on that little tractor, but finally realized that
it was just too small for the big jobs and too big for the small jobs. I
sold it to ATIS member Jim Thompson in MA who ended up rebuilding the
very worn out deck.

<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/economy1.html>

Mike