[AT] A CHALLENGE - - Can you name the first three tractors you drove?

Bill Boyd billstractors at verizon.net
Wed Dec 16 18:54:54 PST 2009

The first tractor I drove was a 1944 farmall A. I still have it.
This was the tractor that replaced the horses on the farm.
The second was a John Deere H raking hay for a neighbor.
The third was a Farmall Super C gathering corn for a neighbor.
I drove the tractor pulling two trailers in tandem while my uncle and
the neighbor gathered the corn by hand and threw it into the trailers.

This is not counting a two wheel Simplicity garden tractor my father
bought new in 1948.
Which is actually the first tractor I drove and the one I drove the
most growing up.

The first tractor I personally owned was a small tractor I built out
of auto parts using a how to magazine. It was called a Power Pup.
This was in the early sixties.

The second tractor was a three cylinder 1948 VAC Case I bought about 1980.
It had thrown a rod and the PO removed what was left of the rod and
piston and the push rods, put a piece of inner tube and a hose clamp
around the crank journal and run it on three cylinders.
It was stuck of course with a cracked block. I freed it up and got it
running but the front end bounced up and down like a sewing machine.
I rebuilt the engine and used the old Case for over 15 years. Wish I
still had it.
  I now have a 1972 Massey Ferguson 165D, 1944 Farmall A, Simplicity
B two wheel garden tractor, and a 1939 Farmall A project tractor (
pics are on the ATIS forum, sadly its still in the same condition).
Where did I put them round tuits?

Bill in N.E.TX